Re: gtk+ from CVS not building

Russ> gtk+ seems to be the first thing that needs building, but
Russ> testgtk don't build because libgdk is missing all sorts of calls
Russ> to X functions, presumably from Xlib, which isn't on the command
Russ> line.

Russ> In order to trace this back, I'll have to understand how
Russ> configure, automake, autogen, and libtool work, since make is
Russ> operating on the output of configure, and configure is operating
Russ> on the output of automake.  I don't understand how they work, so
Russ> I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else is having the same
Russ> problem.

I don't have the problem.  I updated gtk+ a few hours ago.  You won't
really need deep understanding of automake, autogen, or libtool.  You
might need to play with autoconf/configure a bit though.

testgtk is linked with this stuff (from gtk/Makefile.am):

testgtk_LDADD = \
	libgtk.la				\
	$(top_builddir)/gdk/libgdk.la		\
	@x_ldflags@				\
	@x_libs@				\
	$(top_builddir)/glib/libglib.la		\
	-lm

Some things to figure out:

* What are x_ldflags and x_libs set to in your build?
  (Just grep for them in gtk/Makefile)
  (Presumably they are empty)

* What does configure think is going on?
  (Look at the output from running configure.  Also look in
  config.log; this file shows the command line and output of every
  compilation that configure runs -- very useful stuff)

* How do these variables get set?
  (look in configure.in)

A helpful hint: if you need to debug configure stuff, you should
remove config.cache before re-configuring.  Otherwise you won't be
testing the same code path that failed before; you'll just pick up the
bad values (which are now in the cache).

Good luck,
Tom