gtk+ from CVS not building

I'm trying to put together that script that Miguel suggested I write.
To do this properly, I put together a test machine, and am trying to
build Gnome from CVS from scratch.  gtk+ seems to be the first thing
that needs building, but testgtk don't build because libgdk is missing
all sorts of calls to X functions, presumably from Xlib, which isn't
on the command line.

In order to trace this back, I'll have to understand how configure,
automake, autogen, and libtool work, since make is operating on the
output of configure, and configure is operating on the output of
automake.  I don't understand how they work, so I figured I'd ask to
see if anyone else is having the same problem.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson