Re: Initial IDE code

> Hiya, I'm one of the authors of gedit, and from what it looks like you're
> trying to do, I wanted to let you know that Chris Lahey has been adding to
> the gnome cvs tree a plugins api that gEdit and his text editor GO
> (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~clahey/software) will be sharing. At the
> moment the api is still going through some changes, but if you check out
> the gnome-utils module you should be able to get a feel for how it's going
> to work.. I think from what it looks like you're trying to do that it
> would be better to implement this CORBA interface as a plugin, instead of
> making changes to the source directly - this would provide for more
> flexibility, and also give us an idea for what kind of demands could be
> placed on the plugins api, and a chance to extend it to make it more
> useful. As I said, the api's still in development, but if it looks like
> it could come close to serving your purposes, let me know and we can try
> working together on this - I'd be happy to commit patches to the cvs tree,
> and see what we can do about maybe getting you access to the tree if
> neccesary..

Cool.  I will check it out.  What I did was to seperate all the CORBA
stuff off then added a couple of methods in gEdit to preform the tasks
I needed done.  If this could all be done a plug-in then that would be
a Good Thing.  Especially if it meant it would give me an hook into more
than one editor.  Cool.  Unfortunatly, what functunality the IDE will need
from the plug-in api is currently unknown since the project is so young.
In any case, I will try and adapt my code into a plug-in.  The biggest
annoyance I've hit so far is MICO.  It's IDL compiler is less then impressive.
I was completely unsuccessful in generating C bindings and only moderately
successful with the C++ binding.  Not that I'm really complaining, I
would _NEVER_ want to write an ORB.  They are tricky.

Anyway.  After I polish up my code, what should I do with it?  Email it to
you?  I've been working of you're 0.40 release.  BTW, do you have some
bandwidth to store the standalone IDE as well?

--
Sam Ziegler / ziegler@mediaguaranty.com / sam@ziegler.org