Re: Project idea: IDE

> GUIDE (which is not an acronym) may be relevant here.
> <URL:http://sunsite.auc.dk/GUIDE/>
>
> The plan is to connect (or, enable to communicate) various tools in
> order to construct an IDE, or something vaguely IDElike (I'm not sure
> I *want* an IDE, exactly, but making tools work better together
> strikes me as worthwhile).

Cool.  I shot a note off to Knud Haugaard Sorensen explaining
my idea to see if he is thinking along the same lines.  I know
IDEs are against hacker ethics, but I feel that they do have
great advantages when organizing large projects.  As much as
I love Emacs, there are good developement environments out there
which really help in rapid software creation.  As much as it
pisses me off, Visual Studio is a good tool for increasing
coding productivaty.

<rant>
My ulterior motive is this: I would LOVE for Linux
to become a commercially viable OS, and one of the blockades
is the lack of a good IDE.  Before anyone says anything like
Red Hat was profitable from day one, let me clarify.  As much
as I hate Microsoft and Windows, if you want to make a successful
software company (ie. one that makes me REALLY rich) You need
the market to be there.  So I would live to be able to start a
Linux software company in 5-10 years, but a lot has to happen
between here and there.

I apologize for the rant.
</rant>

--