Re: gnome & xscreensaver

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 10:55:44PM -0700, Christopher Seawood wrote:
> I ran across an interesting problem earlier this week.  I'm using the
> gnome 0.20 release (with proper rh errata rpms) and I have the following
> gnome items in my .xsession:
>
> background-properties --init &
> keyboard-properties --init &
> mouse-properties --init &
> panel &
>
> Via the panel, I configured xscreensaver to timeout and lock the screen
> after 3 minutes.  Fine and dandy.  Worked like a champ.  I left my desk in
> somewhat of a hurry and fired off xlock rather than wait for xscreensaver
> to kick in.  Later, I log back in and the next time xscreensaver timed
> out, the screen blanked but did not lock.  Instead I got these messages in
> yellow text:
>
> xlock, could not grab keyboard! (1)
> xscreensaver: child pid 6515 (xlock) exited abnormally (code 1).
>
> Killing off xscreensaver and rerunning 'background-properties --init'
> "fixes" the problem, but should this be occurring in the first place?  It
> seems fairly natural to want to explicitly lock the screen rather than
> wait for a timeout.  I'm using an icon on my dock to launch xlock rather
> than the gnome panel.  I noticed locking the screen from the panel does
> work in all cases, but the panel is usually minimized or non-existant
> (sucks up too much ram for no benefit).

the panel just forks off to xlock ... should be exactly the same as
launching it from an icon .... it's basically an interim solution ... I
think the desktop setup and the lock command (which does not yet exist)
should work with both xlock and xscreensaver ... otherwise it's more of
an xscreensaver vs. xlock issue ... I've found xlock to be much more
robust then xscreensaver which just has WAAAAY too many problems(mostly
races)

anybody want to volunteer to write a nice unified interface to locking
and screensaving ....???

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: