Configuration storage

I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway... ;-)

Is the configuration file system set in stone yet?  It's just that I
can see one big advantage we have over a Windows-like system (other
than not using a Windows registry ;-) is that we can run applications
remotely.  In order that you keep your desktop settings, theming and
everything else consistent, I would think you'd want to access program
settings via the X server (as apps do now, using xrdb) rather than via
the filesystem.

I imagine this is a job for CORBA, coupled with using X resources or
something similar for the naming service rather than storing IDs off
the home directory.  But since I've just read the Mico manual and not
had time to play yet, don't take my word for it ;-)