Esound problems and my darned AWE32 sound card

With Redhat 5.1, I've been through a lot of trouble/tribulations
trying to make esound work.  I first discovered the problem when
I installed Enlightenment 14.  The wave files supplied are 16 bit
and they make loud screeching sounds when they play.  I found that
I could convert them to 8 bit and they play fine.

I also found that the 16 bit wave files play ok with a program like
wavplay, but there is a possibility that waveplay is internally aware
of the problems with 16 bit files and it automagically plays them as 8 bit.
I don't know.

I've been through many kernel recompiles  changing sound settings and
the like, and the result is the same (well, actually, sometimes nothing
works at all...).   WHen I commpile the kernel and modules, there are
some warnings about UART_401, but no errors, but when I do make modules
install I get "sound_sym.o" not found.

I have already been many times through the Sound-HOWTO and the
Soundblaster-AWE-minihowto.  I've read the kernel source readme files
and I've even downloaded a free demo copy of the OSS commecial package
and the same dang thing happens.

I don't see a lot of Redhat 5.1 users crying about these problems,

Sorry to spam the whole gnome list with this, but I'm hoping there
is a Esound or sound card buff out there who can tell me what's up.
I have joined the redhat sound-list, but for some reason I cannot
fathom, it rejects the note I send in as not being from the same
address through which I subscribed. But the notes are sent in from
the same computer, same everrything, and I've not yet heard back from
their listmaster.

Paul E. Johnson                      pauljohn@ukans.edu
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas