Gnome on redhat 5.0

Hi all,

     Before I get in over my shoulders has anyone
used the v0.20 rpms on a redhat 5.0 installation ? I
downloaded all of the gnome rpms plus the extra's
from ftp.gnome.org. What I am not clear about is do I
also need to install the image lib updates for redhat
5.1 as well, I have a newer version of gimp than the
rpm's and was also wondering if I would need to
recompile most of my software (windowmanager) against
the new libs.

Thanks

-Jeremy