Scientific Applications

Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has had any thoughts about Gnome/GTK based
scientific applications for the desktop?

I have been thinking specifically about the areas covered by commercial
Windows/Macintosh applications such as SigmaPlot, SYSTAT & GraphPad
which don't appear to have any comparable 'competition' in the free
software world. It seems that all of the freely available statistics/graphics
software has either been written with a specific purpose in mind, is
only capable of producing fairly simple graphs, or requires the user
to 'program' it, e.g gnuplot.

As such a large number of UNIX/Linux users are in the Academic/Research
sector it would seem sensible to try and produce packages like these.

Anyone care to comment on whether this seems like a good idea?

	-Mark

--
Mark Rae                                               T 0131 650-3265
Department of Physiology                               F 0131 650-6527