Re: WM Compliance

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 07:03:00PM +0200, Eckehard Berns wrote:
> widget (besides gnome-test from the gnome-libs package), and I have no idea if
> the lamp stuff is ever accepted by the application programmers, but
> theoretically it's there.

	Thank you for the clarification...

> But I have to admit, that the whole lamp/beacon issue is not that important,
> and a wm could simply ignore it. It would be nice if some window managers
> would start to support it, because without the wm's support no one will
> actually implement it into his app and we will never see if the lamps can
> make our life easier.

	<nod> What are the hooks that you think would be specifically
needed to implement the lamps?

	Do we want the lamps to be a part of a "WindowManager Compliance"
speficiation or not?

	I, personally, would say not... mainly because of the
internationalizaton issues of showing state by color.  Also because
having "lamps" may adversley affect the desired look and feel of a
windowmanager... easy examples being WindowMaker, AmiWm, and FVWM-95.

	Perhaps we could put it in the "optional" section?

	Granted, it would affect "look" more than "feel", but...

							Adam

--
Adam Jacob                  E-Mail: <adam@cybertrails.com>
Systems Administrator       WWW: http://www.cybertrails.com