Re: XML and GNOME community

On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 03:28:59PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:
> > > I'm not sure about this. I know the Mozilla license is incompatible with
> > > the GPL, and there are problems with using another MPL'd library in GNOME,
> > > so...
> >
> > 	I have a feeling that this was changed...  I found this on
> > Slashdot.org:
>
> I did not say that the MPL wasn't free, but that it was incompatible with
> the GPL. Indeed, the MPL is free, but at the same time incompatible with
> the GPL.

In that case I have on my harddisk a copy of "xmltok" (now called expat)
with the following license:

    Copyright (c) 1997, 1998 James Clark

    Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
    obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files
    (the ``Software''), to deal in the Software without restriction,
    including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
    publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software,
    and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
    subject to the following conditions:

    The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
    included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

Which is the kind of license James normally uses. And the expat page
says:

    Copyright (c) 1998 James Clark. Expat is subject to the Mozilla
    Public License Version 1.0. You may not use expat except in
    compliance with this license. Please contact me if you wish to
    negotiate an alternative license.

I don't think negotiating over a change of license would be difficult,
given James' track record of extremely liberal licenses.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed