Re: XML and GNOME community

>     Erik> Now, let us suppose that instead of using CORBA components
>     Erik> to define the data structures, GNOME instead used XML.  Now
>     Erik> I can drive CORBA software components (such as the
>     Erik> hypothetical sys-admin tool) on the remote machine via HTTP,
>     Erik> which all but the most draconian firewalls let through.
>
> Nahh: there are many other ways around that!  Proxies, tunneling...
> People with stupid network admins have come up with lots of tricks.

  I tend to agree, a lot of people are starting designing RPC systems
based on XML + HTTP. Well, I'm not sure it really make sense in the
Gnome context, maybe later if people really agree on the format for
such an RPC.
  But I definitely think that XML support in Gnome is a good idea,
not for RPCs or cut'n paste bufer, but as a document format.

Daniel