Re: Some desktop-links missing

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 10:15:33AM +0200, Michael Lausch wrote:
> It would also be find to have some mechanism to define the _whole_
> menu structure for dedicated users. I'm thinking about workstations
> which are used by their owners only for special applications and the
> sysadmin don't want the people to use a shell or other utilities,
> beside the (more or less) carefully crafted working environment.
>
> This would be really needed to make Linux and Gnome suited for the
> desktop. The menu structure needs to be user specific, not
> installation specific, because the sysadmin, logging in on that
> machine wants to have other menus, giving him access to utilities
> normally not needed by ordinary users.

in the newest version of the panel there are user and system menus ...
the system menu can be editted after installation ... (and since it's
just a bunch of files making the same config on a bunch of machines is
just dead simple)

then there will be 3 types of a root panel menu  ... one that is there now
is to display both the system and user menu on the same main menu ...
then there are two other choices ... put the system menu in a submenu or put
the user menu in a submenu ... the GUI for configuring this isn't there
however, but should appear shortly

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: