Re: make in gnome-libs/libgnomeui doesn't specify -lgdk-1.1 and -lgtk-1.1

-----Original Message-----
From: Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu>
To: Haukur Hreinsson <hawk@london.is>
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: 19. júlí 1998 04:20
Subject: Re: make in gnome-libs/libgnomeui doesn't specify -lgdk-1.1
and -lgtk-1.1

>"Haukur Hreinsson" <hawk@london.is> writes:
>> I have a Debian system and am working from CVS sources. At first, I had
some
>> of the things GNOME depends on installed via Debian's package manager,
but
>> I've since removed these packages and compiled the libs from CVS sources.
So
>> I'm pretty sure that appropriate versions of glib, gtk, imlib, etc. are
>> installed.
>>
>> The following is the last thing make does in gnome-libs/libgnomeui
>>
>> gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/gnome_segv gnome_segv.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>> ../lib
>> gnomeui/.libs/libgnomeui.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>> ../libgnome/.libs/libg
>> nome.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
>> ../support/.libs/libgnomesupport.so -L/usr

/local/lib -lglib-1.1 -ldl -lgdk_imlib -ltiff -lgif -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lz -lm

>> What follows is of course a bunch of undefined reference errors for gdk_*
>> and gtk_* stuff.
>
>-lgtk & -lgdk are missing from the link line.  It didn't find gtk for
>some reason.  Can you send the relevant portions of config.log, and
>configure output.  Do you have `gtk-config' in your path.

root@layla:/usr/local/src/gnome/gnome-libs> gtk-config --version
1.1.0

root@layla:/usr/local/src/gnome/gnome-libs> grep -i gtk config.log
configure:1822: checking whether to use features from (unstable) GTK+ 1.1.x
configure:5243: checking for gtk_signal_handler_pending

I'm afraid I didn't capture configure's output, but I do remember the
"checking for gtk+ (<=whatever)... yes". I'm going over it all again and
this time I'll redirect everything to a file.

One thing I'm not clear on: you say -lgdk and -ldtk are missing, but I would
have thought -lgdk-1.1 and -lgtk-1.1, in  style with -lglib-1.1, as seen
above. Am I right?

>> Also, to even get this far with gnome-libs, I had to call autogen
>> with --disable-nls. If I didn't, make in gome-libs/po would try to `mv
>> gnome-libs.po gnome-libs.pot` and gnome-libs.po did not exist. There is a
>> gnome-libs.po in gnome-libs, but that's a directory that's almost
identical
>> to the po directory. This is all a bit confusing.
>
>For compiling out of CVS, you need to install GNU gettext.  You can get
>gettext 0.10.35 from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu.

Already have it.
root@layla:/usr/local/src/gnome/gnome-libs> dpkg --list gettext
ii  gettext         0.10.35-3      GNU Internationalization utilities

Oh, just remembered something else. Imlib does not find gtk and does not
build imlib unless I manually copy gdkrgb.h from the sources to
/usr/local/include/gdk. Is this an oversight, or a problem with my gtk+
installation?