Re: QTK

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Justin Maurer wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Brian Bruns wrote:
>
> > I wanted to get some opinions on a project I'm starting: QTK.  It's a
> > class library that is Qt compatible (ie you will be able to take existing
> > Qt apps and compile them), but runs over the gtk+ widgets. I have written
> > a small sample (ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/qtk.tgz),
> > that will run the first qt tutorial.
>
> well, if you could do it, it would be almost the holy grail. a very large
> portion of the whole kde/gnome thing is the qt license (though there are
> other reasons too - look & feel of qt, c++-only, etc.) Have you seen the
> harmony project? they're writing a binary-compatible GPL clone (that also
> adds to qt) of qt. perhaps talk to them, as well? if not for a merging of
> the products to get some ideas/suggestions. i don't have a url, but if you
> search slashdot for "kde" and find the kde 1.0 released article, it should
> be there.

I'm planning on looking at harmony, I didn't realize they had that much
done,thanks. If they have a moc compiler ready that would be very helpful.

The reason I didn't want to do a harmony like project is that we would
still have two competing widget sets, now I'll admit to having a liking
for gtk (I'm more of a C programmer than C++), but it seems the only
realistic way is to ride the higher level one (Qt) over the lower level
one (gtk).

> i'm curious though - how far away do you think the time is when i can
> compile kde with your product (assuming the kde fix that wacky shit c++
> they've got going...)? do you think it will ever reach this state?

It's probably a ways away, or not depending on how many people help.  I
certainly hope it will reach that state, but I'm probably too new to the
issues to comment on it much.  (My first look at an actual Qt program was
yesterday:)

> are you sure the legal issues are ok? if you've looked at the qt source,
> it may or may not be a problem, i'm a) not a lawyer and b) have a bad
> headache

I've never looked at the Qt code, and am purposely not doing it.  The
output of the moc compiler provides some hints into how signal/slot is
done, and i'll have that look at harmony as well.

> keep us informed!

will do.

> good luck,
> justin