Re: Multi-size, Multi-Bit depth icons

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 01:41:00 AM -0400, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> On 16 Jul, James Michael Mastros shouted:
> ->  On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:43:01 AM -0400, raster@redhat.com wrote:
> ->  > it alreday has several render types (quality levels)
> ->  Oh.  Then why isn't gnome using it?  Guess nobody got around to it...
Sigh...  I took a look at this, and it would be a BIG pain to add it to the
current gnome-pixmap API: you would need 8 public functions per load type
supported (plain, rendertype, size, size+rendertype for each of new and load).

Perhaps we can simplify things by breaking the API -- require a simple
constructor call for GnomePixmaps that takes the size and rendertype and a
valid map or define size=(0,0) as the "native" size of the image, and
redefine rendertype so that you can specify a value or ask for the default
type for each option (sizing, colormaping/dithering), which would break the
imlib API.  But is it worth it to break the gnome-pixmap API?

Or we could complexify things, and keep the gnome-pixmap API: have all eight
functions.  (I note that the current four are implemented by cut-and-hack, a
sign of poor design, IMHO.)

[rest taken to private mail.]
--
This space intentionally filled by something devoid of meaning or relevance.
	-=- Me, with apology to anybody using a similar statement in their