Gedit bug

I have stopped using Gedit since it has what I consider to be a bug.  I
do a lot of text file creation for letters and memos and have found it
VERY hard to align text with tabs.

What I get is that the first 4 or 5 tabs I put on a line are full width
but then after that all other tabs on the line are only about
half-width.  It is almost like the expansion changes from 8 chars to 4
chars if the current position is past the 40 character mark.

Anyone else having trouble with tabs in Gedit?

Ed Davison