Re: Using autoconf on the configure.in got from AnonCVS

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 06:09:30AM -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:
>     Bertrand> There is configure.in in each package but no configure I
>     Bertrand> thus tried to build it.  Sometimes, autoconf complains
> There is a script called ./autogen.sh (I think it must be mentioned in
> the instructions somewhere).  Use that, and it will handle most
> details, like running aclocal; automake -a; autoconf in subdirectories
> that have their own configure.in script.
>
> In this case your error is probably because you did not run "aclocal"
> before autoconf.
I get the same error as Bertrand gets when trying to compile
gtk+ from the anon CVS server when using the autogen.sh script.
I have the versions of autoconf and automake required in the
HACKING file. The errors I get are exacly:
[hkelle@arnold gtk+]$ ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
aclocal: configure.in: 139: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
configure.in:123: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:124: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:339: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:357: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 579: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'

[hkelle@arnold gtk+]$ autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.12
[hkelle@arnold gtk+]$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.3

--
//  Hrafnkell Eiriksson  //  Student of Computer- and Electrical engineering