Using autoconf on the configure.in got from AnonCVS

Excuse me for such a simple question, but I could not find any answer in
the list. Let me precise I do know how to use automake and libtool.
I use only autoconf for my progs.

OK, so here is the question:
I downloaded gnome sources frome the anon CVS.

There is configure.in in each package but no configure
I thus tried to build it.
Sometimes, autoconf complains there is no config.h.in sometimes not.....
But configure never works.
I must forget one ultra-important step for building
configure, but what is it?

For example, in glib/

----

>>automake (CR)
>>autoconf (CR)
configure.in:118: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:119: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:120: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:121: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:122: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
>>./configure --prefix=/opt/GNOME-0.20
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 562: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION,
no-define)'

>>rpm -q libtool autoconf automake
libtool-1.0h-2
autoconf-2.12-3
automake-1.3-2

>>cat /etc/issue

Red Hat Linux release 5.1 (Manhattan)
Kernel 2.0.34 on an i686
--------

Any help appreciated.

	Bertrand

  Bertrand GUIHENEUF           	E-Mail: bertrand.guiheneuf@inria.fr
                               	Tel.:   (33) 01 39 63 50 36
  				http://Bertrand-Guiheneuf.home.ml.org

Thanks to GNU for providing us all those powerful and reliable tools
Thanks to Linus Torvald for allowing me not to be a $microsoft$ slave