GULP -> usr LPRng for lpq/lpc/lpq/lprm code?

You wrote:

>> Very good discussion of why lpr/lpc/lpq are broken and GULP
>>

> Funny, I was talking to sopwith last night and I pretty much went
> down the same path you just discussed. Given that the server
> formats the lpq output, you're stuck.

Hi!

I think I am missing the message that you are quoting there.
Could you forward it to me, if you still have it somewhere
in your mailbox?

The link to the LPRng slides should work - but note
that this is a .tgz file, not a .ps or a .html file:

  <ftp://ftp.astart.com/pub/LPRng/LISA97.tgz>

LPRng only presents a "generic interface" to different
lpd implementations on a protocol level - you will be
able to talk to really most BSD- or RFC1179-based
printing systems, even if they are broken. Even LPRng
will not, however, be able to parse "lpq" output.

By now, I think that GULP should best base its
printing interface on external filters, and not
incorporate code to do printing by itself (which
would also make it have to be SUID root, as BSD lpr
requires print requests to come from a certain
range of reserved ports < 1024). You would be able
to modify the filters that parse lpq (or SAMBA or
whatever) output yourself to provide for more
flexible local site customization.

I wonder if Scheme/GUILE would be up to this
filtering/parsing task - IMHO, these should
better be Perl or sh/sed/awk scripts.

Yours,
Markus.