Re: gnome-config problems

Jason Gilbert <jason@scott.net> writes:

> <panel>
>    <param name=bgcolor value=grey>
>    <menu name=main label="Main Menu">
>      <li>
>        <menu name="Programs">
>          <li><program name=netscape label="Netscape"
> exec="/opt/bin/netscape">
>          <li><program name=gimp label="The Gimp" exec="/usr/bin/gimp">
>        </menu>
>      <li><a href=applet#logout> //you could allow references to other
> config info
>                                 //in the same file.
>    </menu>
>    <applet name=clock>
>      <param name=whatever value=something>
>    </applet>
>    <applet name=menu>
>      <param name=whatever value=somethingelse>
>    </applet>
>    <applet name=logout>
> file for the
>                                       // logout applet
>    </applet>
> </panel>
>
> Obviously, this is not a literal example;^), but just the jist.
> It may not even be feasible.  Just a thought to run up the proverbial
> flag pole.  I hope the spacing doesn't get all screwed.
>
> jason

Equivalent Scheme code:

'(panel
  (param bgcolor grey)
  (menu main "Main Menu"
	(menu programs "Programs"
	      (program netscape "Netscape" "/opt/bin/netscape")
	      (program gimp "Gimp" "/usr/bin/gimp"))
	(link (applet logout)))
  (applet clock
	  (param whatever something))
  (applet menu
	  (param whatever something))
  (applet logout
	  (link "panel.guile" Logout)))

Beside being twice shorter, 5 times less redundant, trivial to parse,
and easy to machine-generate, everything you need to deal with this
type of config is guile, and guile is already a part of GNOME.

--
I refuse to use .sig