Re: font renderers in gdk

Paolo Molaro writes:
 > On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 05:17:19AM -0800, Christoph Toshok wrote:
 > >
 > > Actually, I'll just add the angle parameter to RenderString.  This
 > > vtable should be hidden from programmers, so they can call either
 > > gdk_draw_text or gdk_draw_text_rot, and they'll both call the same
 > > vtable entry (the first one will of course pass 0 for angle.)
 >
 > But you need to know if a renderer supports rotating text:
 > with a NULL in the vtable it's simple.

Sigh.  The problem with optional features is that a program cannot
rely on them being there.  So it either has to:

1) give up on the benefit that feature would bring you.
2) emulate the missing feature (but if u can do that, then put the
   emulation into the library).
3) not work in some environments.  Ugh.

Optional features make the libraries easier to program, but the
applications more difficult to write.

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   Freedom is the primary