Re: Fonts and GTK

On 26 Jan, Ramarao Kanneganti shouted:
->  Elliot Lee writes:
->   > On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Ramarao Kanneganti wrote:
->   > > the fonts. The default X fonts are so ugly looking! Is there a plan
->   > > afoot to get better font support for the widget sets?
->   >
->   > You can use whatever fonts you wish in Gtk widgets, you just have to edit
->   > the rc file. I like the defaults though - they're clean & simple.
->
->  Hopefully, eventually, the fonts can be set through some
->  configuaration program. But, are you sure that I can use whatever
->  fonts? Can I use type 1 fonts and expect to have some anti-aliasing
->  support? X font server really is not that good. Also, there is support
->  for anti-alised text in Gimp. Is it going to be part of GTK so that
->  the font problems in X can be corrected at library level code?

X font primitives cannot be anti-aliased for several reasons. 1. no
alpha support in X. 2. all fonts are monochrome - ie 1-bit. doint
anti-alaised fonts is a BIG task for X expecially due to lack fo alpha
masking support. I know.. I have this planned for Fnlib (full color
font library - currently no antialiasing - all bitmapped fonts, but
full 24-bit color fonts tho.. great for fancy text).

->
->   > > config files. Are there any ideas about providing better support for
->   > > printing under GTK widgets?
->   >
->   > If someone wants to make that their project, I don't think anyone would
->   > refuse them ;-) Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to just use the X
->   > print server...
->
->  Aha, Unfortunately, I am not that good at X hacking. Besides, I was
->  told that the X Print Server is something recent. I don't know anybody
->  who hacked with it!
->
->   >
->   > -- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/