Re: Scroll bars.

ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:
> *   scrolling up and down by dragging the little marker is painful if
> there's a lot of area to scroll (i.e. the directory listing contains
> lots of files)  Precision is lost.

Yes. This is extremely irritating. An alternative is to use
a second mouse button that would scroll at a different ratio (finer
precision). You would use the main mouse button to get the approximate
location, and the secondary button to move in on the precise location.
Or even have 3 different ratios of scrolling, for each button on a
three button pointing device. It is unlikely that the buttons would
be used for anything else on the scroll bar, so this behaviour would
probably not interfere with anything else.

> One possible addition would be for the user to grab the text pane with
> the mouse and scroll it directly.

Which is very intuitive, except when the the contents of the pane
respond to the click (ie. selecting text). The GIMP uses the center
button is this way, I think? Good reason to have a 3 button mouse.

	Peter.