Re: Working on a simple page-layout app

Toshio Kuratomi <badger@prtr-13.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> I was in the library the other day and saw an old Adobe book that introduced
> me to Display PostScript.  I immediately ran home and discovered that
> www.gnustep.org is down (and is still down...)  But I know they had someone
> (The person who codes ghostscript?) working on DPS.
>
> Has anyone looked into this?  The Adobe manual implied that Adobe had
> implemented a Display Postscript engine for X11R5 (as an X extension)
> and was giving it away for "free" (I checked ftp.x.org and got some package
> under contrib/extensions/dps(?) but I think it's only docs.)  DPS looks like
> it could be nice for some apps like this, and could be generally useful to
> gnome as a whole....

Just take a look at the GYVE project
(http://bandits.aist-nara.ac.jp/~masata-y/gyve/gyve.html).  Those guys
are writing a vector graphics program that attempts to provide the
same features as Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw.  The project is
based on Gtk, Objective C and Display Ghostscript (a free
implementation of Display Postscript written by L. Peter Deutsch, the
author of Ghostscript).  According to their web pages, they are now
working on a Display Postscript widget for Gtk that will be used as
part of their program.

Actually, Display Postscript seems to be a really good idea for
writing a desktop publishing program.  It provides "instant" WYSIWYG,
since you can send exactly the same output to both the screen and the
printer and obtain identical results (except for resolution
differences).

Regards,

M. S.

Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co