Re: GNOME App tear-off bars

>  With release 0.11 of GNOME, the tear-off menubars and toolbars were great.
>  When pulled onto the desktop, they just sat there like KDE app toolbars
>  under kwm. However, with GNOME 0.12, the pulled out menus get the full wm
>  treatment with a title, border, and entry in the window-list. This is how
>  KDE apps act running under non-kwm window managers. I really liked the way
>  my toolbars were undecorated. I guess they are getting reparented now? Is
>  this the desired behavior, and if so, could someone tell me why?

On the previous Gtk, the GtkHandleBox widget (who is responsible for
tear-off stuff in Gnome) used an OverrideRedirect window for the
floating state.  From my understading of the ICCCM, these windows
should be Transient and not OverrideRedirect.

Being OverrideRedirect has the very ugly problem that the window is
not managed by the window manager.  So if you have a floating toolbar
and change virtual desktops, it will stay on your screen as if it were
a `sticky' window.  This is undesired behavour.

Right now the GtkHandleBox floating window is decorated simply because
I haven't figured a way to un-decorate it :-)  It seems that Motif
window manager hints should do the trick.

The KDE floating toolbars are un-decorated on KWM because they use
their own WM hints.  I would like to see if we can do it using
"standard" Motif hints instead of using a specific window manager's
features.

  Quartic