GNOME App tear-off bars

With release 0.11 of GNOME, the tear-off menubars and toolbars were great.
When pulled onto the desktop, they just sat there like KDE app toolbars
under kwm. However, with GNOME 0.12, the pulled out menus get the full wm
treatment with a title, border, and entry in the window-list. This is how
KDE apps act running under non-kwm window managers. I really liked the way
my toolbars were undecorated. I guess they are getting reparented now? Is
this the desired behavior, and if so, could someone tell me why?

Thanks
M.Watson redline at pdq dot net