Netscape not quite free

Let's not rejoice prematurely.  Unfortunately, it looks like Netscape
is NOT going to make the browser free software.  From
http://www.internetnews.com/prod-news/1998/01/2204-free.html:

       Netscape said it also plans to allow qualified partners to create a
       customized version of Netscape Navigator or Netscape Communicator for
       redistribution to users.

If true, this implies that users will NOT in general have the freedom
to distribute modified versions, which means that the program will NOT
be free software.  So we still won't be allowed to use Netscape in a
free operating system.

The free software movement may be able to get public relations
benefits from this event, maybe even large benefits--but we will have
a big job educating people about the difference between what Netscape
is doing and real free software.

We can hope that Netscape really will make the programs free.
Meanwhile we'll continue working on E-scape.