Re: Gnomescape...when?

> brett@milliways.itd.uts.edu.au (Brett Morgan) writes:
> >

> > > I think it is more of a victory of the Linux crowd, Netscape obviously bought
> > > into the "Bazar" model of programming. 2000 distributed programmers with
> > > no leadership, can write "cooler" (but not neccesarily cleaner) code.
> > >
> > > It will be interesting to see what happans.
> >
> > Heh. have a look what the netscape parser does to html. its so far from
> > the standard that it cant be too hard to write better designed code than
> > the stuff currently in it ;)
> >

> Hmm..  no, the parser accepts valid HTML.  It's just following the old
> adage: be strict about what you write out, be lenient about you read
> in.  writing a lenient parser is a lot more difficult than writing a
> strict one.

Try writing a page that sets say bold on and then say italic off,
load it into a browser and gee whiz, that italic off just became
a bold off ;)

Ie, the browser just takes whichever token is on top of the
push down stack and pops it. This means all your style tags
must not span other style tags. There aint nothin in the standard
about those style tags having to be inside or outside :P

> I would say *users* are far from the standard :)

You expect that tho.

> chris

brett