Re: Fear & loathing with CORBA

On Thu, Jan 22, 1998 at 11:21:29AM -0600, Alan Shutko wrote:
> S> Why corbafy a mixer?  The only thing that needs to interact with it
> S> is you!
> No, you might want to change the settigns programmatically.  I used to
> use my computer as an alarm (when I had to wake up at a different time
> each day of the week), and my alarm would max the volume, play a sound
> file, then turn the volume back where it was.

Well, that's cool then.  But you as a user have specified that you
want this behaviour, and you really shouldn't be all that surprised to
see it happen.  I'm not sure I'd want my applications per default to
mess with the mixer, but if I tell them to I'd certainly want to see
it working.

(A marginally-related topic: wouldn't it be cool if terminal windows
that beeped knew how to pan the sound appropriately, according to
where the window was onscreen?  I always miss talk requests; I never
know whether to start digging on the left-hand or right-hand side of
the screen)

-dan