Re: Orb choosing time (was Re: Adding other languages to omniorb)

Tom Tromey <tromey@creche.cygnus.com> writes:
> Sorry, but your analysis is flawed.
>
> A CORBA implementation doesn't need to use threads.  Instead it can be
> written to integrate with whatever main loop already exists.  In a
> case like this, boa->impl_is_ready() runs the event loop, waiting for
> a response -- but also dispatching events on other file handles.
> Also, gtk_main_loop() is the event loop, so it doesn't block in the
> sense that you mean.
>
> This is the approach ILU takes.  I don't see why any ORB couldn't take
> this approach.
>
> Threads are not required.

Most ORBs _do_ run their event loops in impl_is_ready.  In fact, some
even expose their event loops to the users.

While not exactly free software, I had no problems integrating the event
loops of Orbix, ObjectStore, and Tcl/Tk and getting the program to do
nice stuff.

- Hari