Re: "consistent look and feel" && "WM independent"??

Russell Nelson wrote:

> Tom Tromey writes:
>  > Raster> So am I. You CANNOT make a desktop and not include a wm. It is
>  > Raster> the ONLY program that by X standards is defined to run ALL the
>  > Raster> TIME.
>  >
>  > That's true, but Gnome != X.  Gnome will require the "GOA" at least.
>  > (IMHO) users will be encouraged to run the session manager as well.
>
> This is confusing.  Are you saying that Gnome isn't going to require X?
> X requires a WM; therefore if Gnome requires X, then Gnome requires a WM.
>
> --
> -russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
> Crynwr Software supports freed software | PGPok |   Freedom is the primary
> 521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice |   cause of Peace, Love,
> Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   |   Truth and Justice.
>
> --

Actually I don't think X does "require" a window manager. For example
try using the failsafe login on your X-terminal (or if xdm is properly
set up on your box). It usually defaults to an xterm. No WM.

I think the thread may refer to session management as well as window
management. These are not necessarily (in fact at present almost never)
done by the same program. Have a look at the man page for xsm.

And also a look at the hardcopy docs for X11 atoms which lists some of
those which are specific to session management.

Cheers,
							mitch