Re: Database intergration with GNOME?

Philip Dawes <philipd@parallax.co.uk> writes:

> Shawn T. Amundson wrote:
> >
> > On 21 Jan 1998, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >
> > > Shawn> I don't understand exactly what CORBA/IDL is going to buy us
> > > Shawn> until I see a good example I think.
> > >
> > > Yeah.  But it's hard to provide an example since so little of the
> > > infrastructure exists.
> > >
> > > I can talk about an example, but that isn't really the same as running
> > > code.  If this is good enough for you, tell me and I'll lay it out in
> > > as much detail as you want.
> >
> > Well, if you want to use an addressbook as an example, I would
> > be interested in hearing it. ;-)
>
> I'll give it a go:
>
> 1) Somebody writes a corba object which references some backing store.
> This object supports (i.e. derives from) the gnomeAddress interface.

Cool but what about gnomeAddress being a subclass of gnomeRecord?
Other subclasses might include gnomeCompactDisc, gnomeDocument
(subclass of which is gnomeEMail).

> 2) The object is 'registered' with the interface repository.
>
> 3) The client address book program knows about the gnomeAddress
> interface, and queries the interface repository (for the Interface
> Repository is a standard corba object as well, and thus can be used by
> any corba clients) for objects that support it. It returns a selection
> of objects to the user, and the user chooses which object to use.

Hmm... neat thing here is that there could be several address books
that could return the query... e.g., a personal one and an
organization-wide one.

> 4) The client then talks happily to the corba object, calling functions
> on it to retrieve and save new addresses to the backing store
> encapsulated by it.
>
> 5) The world is a wonderful place, all thanks to the fact that gnome
> developers have the insight to write corba interfaces to their programs.
> - hurrah!!

yes =)

--

Steve Farrell