Re: RPM and Corba/GNOME

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Marc Ewing wrote:

> > It can not be implemented directly as a virtual file system in the
> > the file manager, as some operations on packages do not really map
> > well to the vfs interface (upgrade, rebuild, dependecies).
>
> But could it be implemented as a set of small programs that are
> registered as actions for RPM file types?

My thoughts exactly.

Miguel, we will probably want to define a way for packages and/or programs
to register right mouse button-menu items. That way RPM can say that for
all application/x-rpm/installed files, mc should list 'Remove' on the
menu, and for all application/x-rpm files it should list 'Verify',
'Details', etc. We will also probably want a way to specify the "default"
action for a particular file type (i.e. when a user double clicks).

That will give us a unified method of extending the file manager to fit a
virtually infinite number of needs.

As soon as I get the Mico-C patches into CVS, and as soon as Miguel
puts mc into CVS, I'll happily code this...
-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.