Re: About the Gnome Help browser

> Just my comment on the whole "URL syntax for various help documents" thing
> -- it seems to me that it would be better to push all this stuff into the
> Virtual File System code discussed on the web site.  Really, we're going
> to have to give the VFS support for many of these schemes anyway, so why
> not make it general?

I do not really see how a man-fs would work or how that will provide
any benefit to the end user.

The VFS implements a file system abstraction.

> Eventually, the kernel could be made aware of the GNOME VFS -- I
> vaguely remember some work being done in the past on user-space
> filesystems that could be loaded as modules.  Of course, this would end up
> being Free UNIX only, so we probably wouldn't want to make it required
> functionality for GNOME (or would we?).

No need to modify any kernel at all.  You just use ELF to load shared
object.  It would just require providing wrapper routines for every
system call that returns a file descriptor.

best wishes,
Miguel.