Portuguese port

Hello

As i had announced i now have somehing close to a portuguese port (not good
for release yet!). I did it on gnome 0.12 but now i have a question :

        I changed the makefile in the po directory. Then i made the
portuguese files. Installed them. Run configure again. make all again, but
the gnome apps still como in english! So how do i force the thing to compile
in portuguese. I believe it has something to do with my locale settings, but
i'm not sure ...

        Thanks!

---
        Mario Filipe