not quite clear on the concept.

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't quite understand this all, but it
seems to me like Gnome is based on the gtk library.  And other
programs are based on gtk.  But gnome programs are also based on gnome
libraries, and those libraries provide graphics services above and
beyond gtk, so that a gtk program is not necessarily a gnome program.
Like, for example, the tear-off menus is a gnome thing.

Is that how it works?

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson