Re: Fix for tear-off toolbars

>  Wouldn't it be easier to just change the type of the float window to
>  GTK_WINDOW_POPUP instead of using a motif wm hint? You might need to make a few
>  changes so it displays the size correctly and doesn't squish (non technical
>  term, I know) the  widgets, but since that essentially just sets
>  override_redirect no wm that I know of will add decorations to it...

That's the way the handlebox was originally implemented, and it
doesn't work.  GTK_WINDOW_POPUP means you get an X window with the
override_redirect flag set.  This means that the window manager is not
supposed to touch that window.  Not only will it not add decoration,
but it will not even move it around if the user changes virtual
desktops, for example.

This leads to ugly results when you have a floating handle box and you
change virtual desktops -- the handlebox will act as a `sticky'
window.

The handlebox floating window has to be a transient window.  We are
discussing how to ask the window manager not to decorate it, but
that's a separate issue.  I think creating Gdk or Gnome abstractions
for the Motif window manager hints is fine.

  Quartic