Re: Avoiding configuration files.

On Feb 13, 11:49am, Josh Yelon wrote:

> One of the things I'd really like to see for gnome is the ability to
> work without configuration files.

No configuration files? Where is the configuration information saved
then? Files are the only permanent storage you've got.

> In particular, I'd like to see
> Xdefaults, xinitrc, xserverrc, and all those other files go away.

Oh, right, ok...

> I'd like to simply be able to type "gnome" and have it bring up a reasonable
> environment (with no config files).

Try "ln startx gnome" and see if that works.

> I think all we really need to do this is to
>
>   1. modify xinit so it launches a window manager instead of xterm, and

Well, you could always modify .xinitrc to... oh... you wanted to get
rid of .xinitrc, didn't you?

>   2. modify a window manager so it does something reasonable without
> config files.

You could stick the "something reasonable" in .xinitrc too if it was
still around, but we just got rid of it.

GNOME is providing an environment, right? I'm assuming that no GNOME
goals are to reimplement or redesign X. Is this assumption valid?

--
Modern computers have advanced to the point where they are extremely
intuitive, though obviously you have to spend a lot of time learning