How to install gnome-guile and gnome-core

Hello all!

Today I resynched my entire checked out source with the CVS development tree,
and recompiled and reinstalled any changed packages from yesterday's
successful install (actually neither gtk+ or gnome-libs has changed, so this
is a NOP!).

A few things I probably should have mentioned yesterday about my enviroment:
    config.guess => i586-pc-linux-gnu
    gettext --version => GNU gettext 0.10
    automake --version => automake (GNU automake) 1.2e
    libtool --version => ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.0i
    autoconf --version => Autoconf version 2.12
    debian 2.0 (unstable)
    using configure --disable-static --enable-maintainer-mode --with-gnu-ld
    using default prefix (/usr/local)

It seems that the gnomeConf.sh search in configure doesn't look in
/usr/local by default, so I needed to use autogen.sh --with-gnome=/usr/local
to help it find the config script.  I think it would be better it it *did*
look in the $prefix directory *first*, because most (all?) people will use
the same prefix for all of the gnome packages.

[as an aside: I use a debian distribution of `stow' to keep each installation
 packages in separate subdirectories of /usr/local/stow, and use symlinks from
 from here to /usr/local/bin etc. to make thing appear to be in the correct
 directory.  This means I configure with prefix=/usr/local and install with
 prefix=/usr/local/stow/package-version.  To make this all work cleanly I
 needed to change GNOME_LIBDIR and GNOME_INCLUDEDIR in gnomeConf.sh to
 point at the build prefix, because they had installed with the install
 prefix.  I believe that AFS (and probably other systems) use a similar
 package management scheme, so it might be worth changing the configuration
 details so that config variable substitution happens at build time and
 install is just an elaborate file copy.]

Anyway the attached patch fixes gnome.m4 in the macros directory to generate
its prefix correctly so that --with-gnome is not required and pretties the
output of configure a little.  Here is a Changelog entry:

Fri Feb 13 14:25:06 1998  Gary V Vaughan  <garyv@rothmans.aethos.co.uk>

	* gnome.m4: Use $ac_default_prefix/lib as the default gnomeConf.sh
	search directory incase no --prefix option was passed to
	configure.

	* gnome.m4: Reformat configuration time-output of gnomeConf.sh search
	and load to work like the other autoconf messages.

My package manager tool has been trying to persuade me to upgrade to slib2c0
for several weeks now, so I initially removed debian's guile1.2 and
installed the latest guile1.3a snapshot from totoro.red-bean.com, and then
let slib upgrade.  Contrary to several mails I have seen on this list, it
turns out that even the latest guile snapshot is not fully compatible with
slib2c0 (should this be in the FAQ?), so I reinstalled with progressively
older releases of slib until I had a combination that worked (ie didn't fall
over in the gen-typeinfo stages of guile-gtk compilation).  It seems the
newest slib which passes this test is slib2a7 from:

	ftp://ftp-swiss.ai.mit.edu/pub/scm/OLD/slib2a7.tar.gz

(this should be in the FAQ too I think, though perhaps newer snapshots of
guile *will* use slib2c0 correctly: should this be reported to Jim Blandy as
a guile-bug?)

Having made these changes, compiled, and installed from an otherwise fresh
set of sources, all of the gnome-guile package builds and the calc.scm script
runs correctly.

Also, I have managed to compile and install all of gnome-core by applying my
macro patch and using

	make X_CFLAGS="" LIBS=-ldl

as already mentioned on the list.   I was about to patch gnome-core's
Makefile.am and configure.in to fix these, but looking at the equivalent files
from gnome-libs and gnome-guile, it appears that X_CFLAGS (at least) is
being used inconsistently between packages.  So I am not entirely sure what
the best way to proceed would be.  My first thoughts are to patch *all*
Makefile.ams to use X_CFLAGS and add an AC_SUBST(X_CFLAGS) somewhere in
gnome.m4?  Is this correct, and/or useful (Hari -- are you listening)?

Would someone please commit this and yesterdays small patches to CVS?

Cheers,
	Gary V Vaughan
--
{#include #.signature#}
WARNING:  Cannot find '.signature' template file

! 	gnome_prefix=$prefix/lib
  	AC_ARG_WITH(gnome-includes,
  	[--with-gnome-includes	Specify location of GNOME headers],[
  	CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$withval"
--- 14,25 ----
  	AC_SUBST(GNOMELIB_DIR)
  	AC_SUBST(GNOMEINCLUDE_DIR)

! 	if test x$prefix = xNONE; then
! 	    gnome_prefix=$ac_default_prefix/lib
! 	else
! 	    gnome_prefix=$prefix/lib
! 	fi
!
  	AC_ARG_WITH(gnome-includes,
  	[--with-gnome-includes	Specify location of GNOME headers],[
  	CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -I$withval"
*************** AC_DEFUN([GNOME_INIT],
*** 34,44 ****
  	])

!         AC_MSG_CHECKING(Loading gnomeConf.sh values)
  	if test -e $gnome_prefix/gnomeConf.sh; then
- 	    . $gnome_prefix/gnomeConf.sh
  	    AC_MSG_RESULT(found)
  	else
  	    AC_MSG_ERROR(Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install)
  	fi
! ])
\ No newline at end of file
--- 39,50 ----
  	])

!         AC_MSG_CHECKING(for gnomeConf.sh file)
  	if test -e $gnome_prefix/gnomeConf.sh; then
  	    AC_MSG_RESULT(found)
+ 	    echo "loading gnome configuration from $gnome_prefix/gnomeConf.sh"
+ 	    . $gnome_prefix/gnomeConf.sh
  	else
  	    AC_MSG_ERROR(Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install)
  	fi
! ])

PGP signature