Re: "Official" gnome window manager

    > I don't agree with people who would use the Gnome project to advocate
    > 'one true wm' for all users.  We'll never get everybody to agree and
    > it will lead to endless bickering and politics.

   If we can't agree on a single wm to ship, then we can't agree on a
   single look and feel.  Arguably this is the point of themes, but then
   a "Gnome-compatible" wm will implement themes; those that don't are
   not Gnome-compatible.

   The whole point behind Gnome is to have a set of applications which
   operate in a similar manner, so that knowledge about how to run one
   can be transferred to another.  The wm is just another application
   which should operate in a similar manner.  If we can coerce one or
   more wm's to work in that similar manner, fine.  If not, then we
   should modify one so it does.

Some things must be left to a user's preference though; otherwise it
will be just as bad as MS Windows.  This is the whole purpose of
having the window manager separate from the applications in the first
place.

Isn't the goal to have every app behave the same way _on the same
display_?

   Can people run non-Gnome applications with Gnome installed?  Sure.
   Will other wm's run with Gnome?  Sure.  That is not an argument for
   not shipping a wm with Gnome.

I sort of agree with this, but IMO it might encourage people to write
programs that don't work (correctly) with other WM's.