RE: Fix for tear-off toolbars

On 13-Feb-98 Max Watson wrote:
>Hello GNOMErs -
>
>       Here is a patch to gtkhandlebox to use motif wm hints to cause no
>decoration on tear-off toolbars and menubars. This means that any wm that
>supports motif wm hints like mwm (duh), fvwm2 (and derivatives?), and icewm
>will now show no decorations. I thought it better to use some existing
>standard than make a new one and have to patch whatever window manager one
>chooses.

Wouldn't it be easier to just change the type of the float window to
GTK_WINDOW_POPUP instead of using a motif wm hint? You might need to make a few
changes so it displays the size correctly and doesn't squish (non technical
term, I know) the  widgets, but since that essentially just sets
override_redirect no wm that I know of will add decorations to it...

>One the subject of window managers, I feel like although GNOME "has no
>official wm," everything points to E. I do not like that. The theme support
>for gtk, the fact that raster is the only wm maintainer on the GNOME dev
>team, etc. It is like saying "use whatever wm you want, but only E is cozy
>with GNOME."
>So I have been patching up icewm to work nicely with the GNOME panel and
>improving the mwm hints support. I have removed the start menu and fixed
>the icewm toolbar to just do a window-list sort of thing in conjunction
>with the panel. I have also made it look more gtk-ish. It looks really
>nice. What I would like to know is what exactly does GNOME need a wm to do?
>Lots of people seem to think we need One True wm, but I feel I can (and
>will, I promise) patch icewm to do anything that any other wm can do. It

I totally agree - IMHO GNOME should try to be as completely wm independent as
possible...
--
Evan Lawrence