Re: Shortcuts ??

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Mark Eaton wrote:
>
> > Is there going to be an implementation of a shorcut type idea? Similar
> > to what KDE has with their .kdelnk files but maybe with a few extra
> > features. Also It would be preferable if the execution of such links was
> > handeled by a small app because KDE they seems tied to the kfm which
> > really seems to slow down my system.
>
> 	How is this different from symbolic links?  From what I've seen,
> symbolic links are more powerful than Windows style .lnk files....  But
> then again, maybe I'm just biased.
>
> 						-Ben

A symbolic link can't contain much information about what it's linked to.
The advantage of a .kdelnk is its ability to give extra information about
what it is describing, such as parameters which may be passed, or file
types it may be associated with.  It's really quite useful, and serves a
rather different purpose than the symbolic link.

It definitely should be handled by a small app though, I would prefer it
if KDE's 'kioslave' program were independent from the file manager.  It
would make things much smoother when the file manager was
closed/crashed/whatever...  Perhaps a 'GNOME I/O' library could be written
to abstract calls to a similar program.  For the most part I like KDE, but
that's one little thing I would change in a reimplementation...

ja ne,

Lester Barrows (Ryoga)  |  ICC Operator   |/~~|        \   _|___ \``
barrows@Oswego.EDU      | SysOp, NeoA88   |   |  |    --+   |   |
www.oswego.edu/~barrows | Linux Inside!       |  |~~    |  ,'  ,'
"Do or Do Not: There is no try."  -Yoda    __/  (l\_  _/  /   /