Re: Newsreader on-off line (RE: Mix of Ideas ....)

>Yes, it is possible to code separatly server and client. But I suspect
>that the client must be like a system daemon or am I wrong ?

No, IMO the local server (the one that queues requests) is the demon, the
client is an app.

- The ISP server is a normal one.
- The local server/request handler stays alive to respond to local requests
(LAN or one computer). Office LANs that use a slow line or a line that only
goes up at working hours is similar than to home computers. [ISDN, typical
for small companies with tens of computers, even less]
- The reader is an app. And maybe capable of using offline and online
protocol. One client (one GUI, lot of code shared), two working ways (only
rutines to speak to the server needs duplication).

>> I say this cos I doubt if normal clients will be capable of realizing that
>> unavaliable requests are queued and they have wait some time to get them
>> downloaded, or they will directly say "not in server, forget about this
>> article".
>All the two things: if the server works with many clients (multiuser
>situation) it put the request is a queque and every user must wait that
>the request is processed; if the server works in monouser situation it can
>collect a number of requests, than connect and do all the jobs.

We are speaking of choice... well the news downloader rutine should be run
by cron (office LAN, launch at lunch time; home too is you are "clock
precise") or by hand (root says when, in other words, mono user launchs it
using a console and "su").

[Future TODO, and future means _future_]
A sleep process will be really interesting: launch app, suck info during x
min (sharing the comm line), sleeps y min (line is free for other apps),
sucks again x min, sleeps y min... and so on until done. Or is there a way
to tell an app that it must use z b/s of the line, never more? Or the pppd
(or the demon that admins the line) is capable of sharing efficiently the line?

Well, anyway, the important is to download only usefull things. The user can
always read web while the news request are retrieved (5 to 60 min, for the
typical home/office purpouses).

GSR