Re: Newsreader (Skim), Balsa and LZW (Re: Mix of Ideas ...)

On Tue, 10 Feb, 1998 at 01:13:54PM +0100, Gianluca Montecchi set free these words:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero wrote:
> >
> > "We are Unix", so we not should think in a mono user way. The way to work is
> > to work like Unix, even if the computer is used by one person at home.
>
> Why ? In my opinion we also must think un mono user way. It is stupid to
> make a program good that work fine with many users and it watse time and
> money if it is used only by one guy.

But what if it doesn't waste time and money if used by only one guy?  The
proposals I've heard are for something that would be as efficient as Free
Agent for one guy, but more efficient once multiple people start using it.

> My proposal is this:
> We can make a newsreader that have a common gui, but work in different
> modes if is used in a LAN or with a dial-up line. So it is a
> off-line reader for who want (or cannot have anything else) and a online
> reader for who want (or can) have this.

That would be fine.  But LAN vs dial-up isn't the same as single versus
multi-user.  And also, something that can be configured to be efficient
on dial-up time should also do a fair approximation at being efficient for
bandwidth... So a LAN that didn't have the external bandwidth to run a full
news feed also falls into the equation as a multiuser installation that wants
to minimize its news transfers. (Thus an off-line reader with a global cache)

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature