Re: Newsreader (Skim), Balsa and LZW (Re: Mix of Ideas ...)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Guillermo S. Romero / unnamed / Familia Romero wrote:

> Well, let me explain it again, I think we have language problems (English,
> while native are Italian and Spanish). This is the FreeAgent process, and
> IMO it is good for dialup connections:
>
> You start with empty database. Then you select load all groups, only the
> list of names: comp.os.linux, comp.graphics.rendering.raytracing and so on.
> After that you choose some newsgroups you want headers for. Maybe just a

Ok, I understand. It is the same method used by skim.

> >And how this method is good if there is a single user that use the own pc
> >at home ? My first idea is to port skim under gtk because it have all the
> >thing needed and work well. The focus is the slow line, not the fast line.
> >I need (and it is better) to have a offline news reader taht work well
> >with the slow lines, if this is true it work well also with the fast line.
> >Skim is designed with this goal in mind.
>
> "We are Unix", so we not should think in a mono user way. The way to work is
> to work like Unix, even if the computer is used by one person at home.

Why ? In my opinion we also must think un mono user way. It is stupid to
make a program good that work fine with many users and it watse time and
money if it is used only by one guy.

My proposal is this:
We can make a newsreader that have a common gui, but work in different
modes if is used in a LAN or with a dial-up line. So it is a
off-line reader for who want (or cannot have anything else) and a online
reader for who want (or can) have this.

> Is funny to see how people share accounts, for example in NT, even people
> set NT to not use passwords (arghh!). Should then Linux distros set to this
> behaviour? In a Win95 box you always use the same account for everybody (I
> think that user accounts can be enabled, but not by default).

In a Win95 box, the user account does not exist, the password only decide
the look of the desktop (Icons, colors, link on the desktop and so on)

Gianluca

    Member of the Pluto Linux Users Group
  Avaible e-mail address:
  gm518464@silab.dsi.unimi.it (-) gianluca_montecchi@rcm.inet.it