Re: Newsreader (Skim), Balsa and LZW (Re: Mix of Ideas ...)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb, 1998 at 01:13:54PM +0100, Gianluca Montecchi set free these words:
>
> > My proposal is this:
> > We can make a newsreader that have a common gui, but work in different
> > modes if is used in a LAN or with a dial-up line. So it is a
> > off-line reader for who want (or cannot have anything else) and a online
> > reader for who want (or can) have this.
> >
> That would be fine.  But LAN vs dial-up isn't the same as single versus
> multi-user.  And also, something that can be configured to be efficient
> on dial-up time should also do a fair approximation at being efficient for
> bandwidth... So a LAN that didn't have the external bandwidth to run a full
> news feed also falls into the equation as a multiuser installation that wants
> to minimize its news transfers. (Thus an off-line reader with a global cache)

I don't understand. In a tipical home situation, you have a PC with a
modem and only one guy at time use the PC, also if there are many
account. On the other side, if you have a LAN (probably at work) you have
a line connected to the internet and you probably don't work on the
server, so you need to trasfer the news from your local server to your
client; as many clients are connected to your local server as many traffic
you generate for the news, but on your local LAN.

If all these things is true, the sitaution is this:

dial-up line:
- one cache for every user with only the group he want

LAN:
- one global cache on the server that have the sum of every newsgroup
  needed by all the users
- one local cache for every user on the client with the newsgroup/article
  he want.

The situation can change if you have a direct connection to your PC (i.e.
if you buy a static IP address as your personal line), in this case you
can use a on-line reader and my idea fails.

But, is it really a terrible idea ?

Gianluca

    Member of the Pluto Linux Users Group
  Avaible e-mail address: