Re: why use guile?

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Sascha Ziemann wrote:

> Anthony Martin wrote:
>
> > Design 1:                     Design 2:
> >
> > libgnome  gtk  gwm  etc.      libgnome  gtk  gwm  etc.
> >     |      |    |    |            |      |    |    |
> >     ------------------            ------------------
> >              |                             |
> >            guile                         CORBA
> >                          ----------------------------------
> >                          |       |      |    |   |   |    |
> >                        guile  Python  Perl  Tcl  C  C++  etc.
> >
> > Does GNOME use Design 1, or Design 2, or both?  If it uses Design 1, or
> > both, why?  Isn't Design 2 the best?
>
> Because it is slow. I would not surprise me if version 2 produces 5 or
> more calls overhead for every GTK call from Guile.

Are you speaking from experience, or are you guessing?  My understanding
is that a decent ORB should handle CORBA calls with very little overhead.
If you are making the calls from guile or any other interpreted scripting
language which is fairly slow anyway, the overhead should be
insignificant.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is CORBA slow?

Tony