RE: gnome yellow sticky project (projects)

Tom Tromey wrote :
>>Probably it makes the most sense to use the standard CORBA Event
>>Service.  Then the Gnome Event Manager program would just be a special
>>instance of an Event Channel object.

	Isn't it a bit heavy ? What about starting with your IDL which are
	lightweight -- and therefore easier to implement IMHO ?

	OTOH I think someone said on the MICO list that he was working
	on the implementation of the Event Service.

>>Probably all the Event Service code should be put into a library for
>>easy reuse.

	Or better : be sent to MICO developpers for inclusion.

>>Lately I've been thinking that Gnome events should actually be use a
>>typed event channel; we could easily write the typed<->untyped
>>converter for this particular special case.  The idea here is that
>>Gnome clients wouldn't have to decode `any' objects coming from the
>>Gnome event manager; these would have a (mostly-) known format.

	But this means that we then have to define a type, doesn't it ?
	(from what I've understood from the Event Service spec, typed
	event channels require such a beast)

>>So in the short term, I think the answer is: you can't really start,
>>unless you want to write the event code.  If you do want to do this, I
>>can send you all the details of what I think we want.  If there is
>>interest, I can post them here.

	I've started a basic implementation of GnomeObserve.idl as found
	in your package, in C++ and for MICO. Well, I'm rather slow and
	not very good at C++ :)

Regards,
-- Olivier