Re: Wasted time & Newsreaders

>They'd probably be happy with SLRN :)  I did hear someone was porting it,
>if someone is willing to do anything to help GNOME I'd suggest people stop
>discouraging them.

Sorry if someone is feeling that. :[
Never trying to discourage anybody, just suggesting things. Somebody may
heard it and use it. I always read that coders should hear user ideas, cos
they are the target. But nowhere I read that every user idea should be
implemented.

Or was about another person? I dunno my position (no coding, and maybe too
much ideas) is cool. [Damm, I need more English practice]

>People enjoy talking about the necessity of doing things the UNIX way.  It
>was my understanding that GNOME was a project, much like KDE, which was
>intended to make UNIX more accessable to more people.  Therefore, there
>should be some programs that are friendly to those who haven't used UNIX
>before, and just think it'd be nice to have a stable, highly networked
>operating system.  Sometimes the UNIX way isn't the perfect way.

The Unix ways are changing.
The Unix as hit home (users).

>It's nice to have your own utopian ideas of what GNOME programs should be,
>but please allow others to write what they feel comfortable with.  It'd
>reduce the traffic on this list manyfold, and much more work would get
>done:)

True.:]

>I suppose you should keep in mind that this is from someone who more or
>less refuses to conform...  I respect Miguel for what he's written
>(Without MC, I might never have settled on Linux), and others I'm
>sure have done a lot as well.  But I don't always agree with everything
>you say!  Nor will everyone.  Obviously many of you don't agree with me
>much of the time.

There is more positions than persons, sure. :]

>The unique thing about the free development model is that it's
>free...  People make whatever they want, and if it's useful to others,
>it's there for them to use, and modify if it doesn't suit their exact
>needs.  Linux didn't go microkernel just because it was 'the right thing
>to do'...  But it's quite widely in use anyway, ne?  And there is even
>MKLinux out there now.  Funny how things work out.

Monolithic kernel seems to be ok.
Maybe more modules or all in modules will be better, but I am happy with
Linux kernel at the moment.
I prefer GUI improvement (like Gnome). ;]

GSR